Sunday, December 28, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Photobucket

Hey everybody, Xan here, and I wanted to share the super cool stocking stuffer Chris made this year.  The above image is the Happy Time Harry doll he made for me, complete with scar from when he had half of his liver removed.  

Okay, you might be saying, "What the hell are you talking about?" Well, one of my favorite television shows is Aqua Teen Hunger Force, which is part of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim lineup.  It's a 15 minute show about a milkshake, box of fries, and a meatwad (named Meatwad) who live together on the South Jersey Shore in a town called Hamburger.  Anyway, there was an episode called "Dumber Dolls" which I dearly loved, in which Meatwad wants a very expensive doll called "Jiggle Billy", but Frylock instead buys him the very affordable at $2.99 "Happy Time Harry" doll, complete with a knife hand, red dancin' glitter shoes, and Action Bills.  Happy Time Harry is voiced by David Cross, and has lived a very hard life and just being around him makes everyone depressed.  The episode is hilarious.

Anyway, Chris has been freaking me out lately by Frankensteining G.I. Joe figures.  A head here, a limb there, and boom, you've got a full figure, but the heads lying around is just a bit too Apocalypse Now for me.  Anyway, one day when he was trying to replace some Kung Fu Grip hands, I walked in the studio to find a handless G.I. Joe and rather than be completely freaked out, I had an idea.  I said "Hey, are there G.I. Joe hunting or Bowie knives?  If we could attach them to the arm instead of hands, we could make a Happy Time Harry!"  Evidently, this started Chris scheming.  

Christmas Eve is when Chris and I usually open the presents we got each other, since my parents and Juice come over Christmas morning for gifts and copious amounts of food and usually, James Bond.  So Christmas Eve he says to me "You have some stocking stuffers!" and I looked at my stocking and the torso of an action figure was hanging out of it.  At first, I thought that he was messing with me and just trying to gross me out with some more body parts, but when I looked more closely, I noticed this figure had a knife for a hand!  I yelped and said "Did you make me a Happy Time Harry?!"  He confirmed this, and I ran over to grab him out of my stocking and was so excited to see that he had red glitter shoes too!  I was so excited, and just had to take photos.  

I love this present.  The stocking also contained some iTunes and Starbucks gift cards (yeah, I know, but I'm a sucker for the eggnog latte, and they have a drive through a block away from our house), and he also got me 2 seasons of Psych, a green iPod shuffle, an extremely detailed book on The Twilight Zone (which I will be pouring through during the New Years Marathon), and the 6th volume of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on DVD.  I love all the gifts, but Happy Time Harry just reminds me that Chris is so creative, and I love his attention to detail.  He's also so sweet to make me something this cool.  Perhaps it is odd to feel all mushy because of a drunken doll who likes to cut himself with his knife hand, but I do.  I've got the best husband in all of explored space.

3 comments:

Andy Bennett said...

We were GONNA make Margaritas with that!

Chris & Xan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris & Xan said...

you had tequila the whole time? well where the f....where it is?