Thursday, July 17, 2008

PlanktonPod Playlist Update
I've cleaned off the summer songs and turned the PlanktonPod into the BatPod this week, as the thoughts of many of us nerdy types center around the impending release of the newest Batman film tonight and all the comic book themed movies in production(a trend that I hope to be a part of very soon).

There are three different versions of the classic 60's Batman Theme by artists as diverse as The Who, The Jam, and The Flaming Lips on the pod today. Other superhero and comic book/strip characters are well-represented, with several songs dealing with Superman and his supporting cast. The band XTC is featured on two Super-tracks, "That's Really Super, Supergirl" from their classic Skylarking album, and "Brainiac's Daughter," recorded under the pseudonym The Dukes of Stratosphear. The Kinks' "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" proves that everyone briefly lost their minds and taste during the disco years. The Flaming Lips make another appearance with "Waitin' For a Superman," which I dearly love, and I'd never leave R.E.M.'s "Superman" (actually a cover of a song by 60's band The Clique) off of a comic book-themed playlist. Another DC Comics character is name-checked in yet another XTC track, "Sgt. Rock (Is Going To Help Me)." To prove I'm not merely a "company man," I've also added songs to the playlist which feature non-DC heroes, The Ramones' version of the 60's Spiderman theme, and another cover song by R.E.M., "Ghost Riders," which sure sounds like it's about the Marvel comics character, even though the title is pluralized. Finally, I couldn't resist adding "Flash's Theme" by Queen. Flash Gordon is my favorite classic comic strip and the 80's movie from which this piece of nostalgia comes is one of my favorite guilty pleasures.
Enjoy!


A commissioned Batman drawing from the early 90's
--quite possibly the last time I drew the character

--C

3 comments:

Kyle Latino said...

You know, I've been wondering, what with the movie and all, what your batman would look like. Now I know.

Good stuff.

Fredrik Sibe said...

Is that "last time I drew Batman" as in "I haven't done it since" or as in "I'll never do it again?" Would be a shame if it's the latter.

Chris & Xan said...

I haven't drawn him since--except for little head sketches at cons. I'd love a chance to draw a Batman comic again.