Monday, July 28, 2008

PlanktonPod Playlist Update
My birthday is this week. I don't usually like to make a big deal out of it--heck, these days I want to just crawl away and hide on my birthday most of the time--but I'm using it as an excuse to put a bunch of new songs on the virtual iPod over on the right side of this blog. The theme this time is my favorite cover songs. I love a good cover song, and have been collecting cool ones for a few years now. My actual iPod has a covers playlist of 335 songs! I picked just seven(like I said--my favorites) for the PlanktonPod today: 1) "Love Will Tear Us Apart," originally done by Joy Division, performed beautifully here by Calexico; 2) "Two Of Us," a Beatles song covered by Aimee Mann & Michael Penn; 3) "Wichita Lineman," a Jimmy Webb/Glenn Campbell tune I barely remember from my childhood, performed un-ironically with real affection by R.E.M.; 4) "Sweet Child O' Mine," a Guns 'n' Roses song recreated by Luna--a cover which led me to investigate the rest of Luna's output; 5) "Vapour Trail," perhaps Ride's most well-known song, covered here by The Divine Comedy, possibly my favorite on this list of favorites; 6) Aztec Camera's "We Could Send Letters," made even more heart-wrenching by The Mystic Chords Of Memory; and finally 7) Aztec Camera's version of Van Halen's "Jump," a cover song I've enjoyed since I was a young whippersnapper in college.

I decided to embarrass myself on my own birthday this time with
another vintage slide from our time in India...


--Old Man Sprouse

3 comments:

Strangewingz said...

Happy Birthday, Bro! May you have many, many more!

Fogger said...

Happy birthday, Chris!

Sharp Brothers said...

Happy Birthday. Here's to another productive year of greatness from your pencil. Please keep banging out interiors. You make every story you work on just that much better.

Can't wait to see what the future holds for your amazing skills.

Cheers,
Rob